Home page for links to all course schedules, information and resources for the English and CultureNet courses I teach at Capliano University (Vancouver, BC)
About + Contact Info
- First Readings (Course Policies for Students)
- Current Courses
- Instructor Contact Information
- About the Instructor: Brian Ganter – scholarship, publications, films, research, teaching philosophy
Learning, Teaching, Writing, and Reading Resources
- How to Use the Oxford English Dictionary (OED) | the “definitive record of the English language”
- MLA Format: The Basics | Introduction and review of MLA (Modern Language Association) format style – 8th Edition Updates.
- Getting Started with University Writing | A reading list on the basics of “writing”
- Getting Started with Wikipedia | Is it appropriate for academic writing? How and when?
- Wikipedia: Keywords, Conversations, Controversies | What is Wikipedia? This page explores some of the more complex and comprehensive conversations surrounding the place of Wikipedia in the academic world.
- Participating Actively | Annotating, Listening, Notetaking
- How to Write a Paper | Writing a summary? Doing a film analysis? This page helps get you oriented on the kind of paper you are writing.
- DAW (Digital Academic Writing) Page | Applications and digital resources for student writing + research, multimedia composing, and multimodal learning and teaching in the Humanites
- Tutorials | Getting started on a project? Using an educational technology or app for the first time? This is the place for you. Here you can find instructional “how to” lessons about how to register for Moodle, how to post on our course blog or wiki, how to do a multimodal presentation for class, or how to Tweet. You can also browse other useful resources on accessing the technology needed to participate productively in our course.
Social Media On Writing
- Our Words, Their Words | Articles and Essays about changes to language and to the way we write (Pinterest: external link)
- The Write Meme | “Memes about #writing, #reading and #everything in between. We seek out collective internet wisdom about academic life, research, argument and critical thinking. We snap pics of digital writing; handwriting; cool fonts and typography; street writing; writing in stalls; protest writing; doodles in class notebooks; writing errors; writing in unexpected places.”
- @GanterCapCourse | Instructor’s Twitter Page
- Capilano University English Department
CultureNet – “a two-year multidisciplinary program designed for students interested in examining contemporary culture with a focus on how people interact with technology.”
- Capilano U. Writing Centre
- The Parallax (Faculty Advisor: Brian Ganter) – a student-edited journal of cinema critique, no longer actively publishing. Browse the first issue of The Parallax here.
- Queer Students Collective
- Womens Collective